9.19.2011

palembang golf club



Desperation drives people to do all sorts of things. This year, I'm desperate to get out there and do something. Learn something new. Get outdoors in Palembang more.

I have always declared that the sport that I most hate watching on TV is golf. Obviously, I don't understand the lure of the game. What is so exciting about hitting a tiny white ball with a variety of sticks, walking after it and then finally pushing it into a hole in the ground? If I wanted to sink balls, pool would be my game of choice.

Anyhow, Palembang may not have a single park but it does have a golf course. I think its around US$18.25 for the 18 holes and you don't need to be a member of the club. This is the only outdoor activity that I have identified for now. I'm sure the game is not as slow as it appears to be.

We went there on the weekend to find out about lessons. The pricing seems reasonable. I should have jotted it down but I think lessons are US$9 for an hour. You also pay US$2 for 100 balls at the driving range. And, the teacher also mentioned another US$2 for the caddy. At the driving range??? He said it was for the guy to put the little white ball down for you and to also go pick them all up after the lesson. Small matter, creates employment I suppose.

I have no idea how good or bad the teachers are or what it will mean to my long term technique if I pick up bad habits now. We're still thinking about it. In the mean time, here are some "interesting" photos from around the clubhouse.

Apart from the obvious typos, I found the listing of unacceptable attire amusing....tight and short shorts tee hee hee :)

Palembang Golf Club
Address Palembang Golf Club
Jl. A.K.B.P. Cek Agus No. 23 Kenten, Palembang
South Sumatera
Telephone 62-711- 714620
Fax 62-711-714620
Website N/A
Email N/A
Holes 18
Public Course
Yardage 5743 Yds
Par 72
Green Fees
A
Course Designer N/A
1926

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. I live in Austin, Texas and my parents used to live in Palembang and play the course many years ago in the 1950s and 60s. In fact, my great grandfather helped build the course.

    Do you have any more of the photos from this trip to the course that I could see?

    I realize that the post is old and you may not even be monitoring these comments anymore, but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks! - Scott

    ReplyDelete

5 Restaurants Serving Sundanese Cuisine in Palembang

  "5 Restaurants Serving Sundanese Cuisine in Palembang" Food in Indonesia is endless, because from Sabang to Marauke has its own ...